HTC One is one of the best-selling HTC handsets today. Perhaps, one of their most popular devices.
Critics have always praised the design and build quality used in the HTC One. This guide is aimed at providing a one-handed solution to unlocking your HTC bootloader, flashing a custom recovery onto it and finally rooting it to unleash its magical powers.
This entire tutorial is quite long and we recommend you to read it VERY carefully.
Before we get started, here are a few things you should know.
Rooting voids the warranty and therefore if you follow this guide to root your HTC One it will take your device out of warranty.
Make sure you have properly charged the device. It is recommended to charge more than 75%.
Please enable USB debugging option from settings. This is a necessary step and can prevent your device from bricking.
No one is responsible if you damage your HTC One by following the steps mentioned in this guide. You are fully responsible for the consequences.
Guide to Unlock Bootloader, Install Recovery and Root HTC One
Step 1: Unlock Bootloader
- Register yourself at http://htcdev.com
- Download ADB File from here – download
- Go to “My Computer” on your PC and go to c:\
- Create a new directory/folder under C:\ with the name – fastboot.
- Now, extract the contents of the zip file which you have downloaded earlier in this folder.
- Open http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
- Select “all other supported models” from the dropdown to start unlocking the bootloader.
- Make sure you have checked both boxes.
- Now, you have to go through everything mentioned up to 7th stepped. Once you reach at 7th step, turn off your HTC One (hold power button for 10 seconds).
- Press volume down and power button simultaneously while the device is on and select fastboot by using volume control buttons to navigate up and down and power button to select.
- Connect your device to the computer and open a command prompt.
- Navigate to the directory we created earlier – c:\fastboot
- Use cd.. to return to the command prompt and/or cd
to select the appropriate folder.
- When you are in c:\ just write this command – cd c:\fastboot
- Now, put this command in com prompt – fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- Copy the text snippet shown in step 9 of the HTC dev website.
- Paste this identifier token here and just click submit.
- This will allow you to move on to the next section.
- You will also get a file with the name – unlock_code.bin
- Download and save in – c:\fastboot
- Put this command in the window – fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- You will see a slight change in the display on your phone.
- Just press the volume up button to accept and the power button to confirm your choice.
Step 2: Install Recovery
- Place this recovery file in the directory where fastboot.exe is located.
- There are two options in which this file may exist.
- It will be pre-set in c:\fastbook or in the Android SDK tools directory.
- Open command prompt and navigate to the folder where you have placed this recovery file.
- Once you are in this directory, put this command – fastboot recovery name flash_of_the_recovery.img
- Let’s take an example –
Recovery file name – recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-m7.img
Reign – fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-m7.img
Step 3: Root HTC One
- You can root your HTC One using any of the root apps mentioned below.
- Download SuperSU by Chainfire
- Download SuperUser by Koush
- Put this root file into the root directory of your SD card. i.e., don’t place it in any folder inside the SD card.
- Restart your device in recovery by pressing and holding vol. down and power button simultaneously.
- Select “install zip from SD card” > “choose zip from SD card”
- Confirm to flash and reboot.
There he is!!
You’ll have a rooted HTC One in your hands in minutes.
Please write to us if you have any difficulties with this process.