Four recipes to feed the body and nourish the Spirit. Spring is coming very quickly and our bodies throughout the winter have adopted a more hibernating mode. This is the time to provide a gentle awakening by transitioning to a new spring through detoxification and cleansing without compromising our taste buds.
Here are 4 delicious and super clean recipes to help you enter your heating season with a smile!
1). Herb Detox Soup (Detoxify & Delicious) Servings 8-10
6 tablespoons Garlic
3 tablespoons of Basil
6 tablespoons coriander (coriander)
3 tablespoons of Lemon Grass
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon thyme powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 16oz can of tomatoes (reserve the juice)
1 16oz can of white beans (drained)
8 cups of homemade vegetable stock
a pinch of turmeric
Recipe: Place all ingredients except turmeric in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add turmeric, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
2). Alkalizing Raw Soup (Energizes/Detoxifies/Cleanses)
This is definitely a super energizing soup and a huge favorite when doing a cleanse or detox. Contains avocado which is high in EFA and cucumber which is famous for its cleansing properties. The taste of this soup can be changed dramatically by using the herbs and spices mentioned or by substituting lemon and lime.
2 green onions
1/2 red or green bell pepper
2 handfuls of spinach
1/2 clove of garlic
Bragg liquid Aminos to taste
100ml light vegetable stock (yeast free)
Juice of 1 lemon or lime
Optional: cilantro, parsley, cumin
Recipe: mash the avocado and broth to form a light paste, then add the rest of the ingredients and blend. Serve.
3). mint watermelon popsicles
These popsicles are a great fat-free snack, made with lots of naturally sweet watermelon. They can be frozen in special popsicle molds or in standard ice cube trays. (3 cubes equal one serving).
1 1/2 pounds seedless watermelon without skin, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1 1/2 tablespoons of agave
1/4 of a mint leaf, chopped
2 tablespoons of finely grated lemon zest
pinch of salt
In a blender, mash the watermelon with the agave until smooth. Stir in mint, lemon zest and salt. Pour puree into 8 popsicle molds or 2 standard ice cube trays (insert semi-frozen popsicle sticks) and freeze until firm (about 3 hours). Watermelon popsicles can be frozen for up to 1 week.
4). Clarification Organic Grilled Chicken with Gremolata
Gremolata is a classic mix of lemon, parsley and garlic. It is also a good detoxification option because the limonene in lemon peel helps the liver neutralize toxins.
2 tablespoons lemon zest (from 1 large organic lemon)
1/4 cup chopped organic parsley
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 free organic chicken (find a 5 pound roaster)
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat to 500*F
2. In a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest, parsley and garlic
3. Place the chicken on a work surface. manually remove the skin from the breast meat and coat the meat with the lemon zest mixture. Spread some of the batter onto the skin covering the legs and thighs and more into the cavity of the chicken.
4. Combine the remaining lemon zest mixture with the oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl; set aside.
5. Place chick, breast side down, on a roasting rack and roast for 20 minutes. Turn the bird breasts over and lightly spoon the oil mixture over them. Bake for 10 more minutes or until breasts are light brown.
6. Lower the heat to 320*F and brush again. Continue grilling until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 160*F to 165*F. (Total cooking time approx. 1 hour).
7. Transfer the chicken to a plate, cool for 5 minutes, then cut and serve.
Source : The Equinox Detox Cookbook